Marian Tee Mania (MTM) Day 1



Today is officially the start of my Marian Tee Mania, a.k.a MTM. For 30 days I'll be reviewing books of this NY Times Best Selling Author -- and her books alone. 
 
The book I'll be reviewing is the first part of the How Not To Be Seduced By Billionaires series titled "Chased". A bit of background on how I came about this book. I was looking for new books to download (because I only have a few hundreds I haven't read yet) when I stumbled upon the Eternally Seduced boxed set [seen on the right]. It caught my attention and I decided -- Eh, why not? So I downloaded it, got to reading, and right there and then I knew that I would hunt down every single book written by this author because she is simply ahh-mhhey-ziiing!

Title: Chased (How Not to be Seduced By Billionaires #1)
Author: Marian Tee
Genre: Romance, Contemporary

SYNOPSIS:
"My name is Yanna Everleigh. I used to think that being an old-fashioned virgin would be enough to keep gorgeous, sexy billionaires away - well, at least the kind who didn't do love at least. But I was wrong. If anything, it simply made my billionaire want me even more.
 
His name is Constantijin Kastein. He blows hot and cold, arrogant and cynical one moment and then disarmingly sweet the next. He makes me forget all about waiting for true love and just go for mind-blowingly hot sex. But he's also Netherlands' #1 playboy, and I'm my own worst enemy. I must be on my guard.
 
Maybe if I play hard to get and pretend that my heart doesn't beat madly every time I see him - pretend that my body doesn't go weak when he's close - maybe he'll finally stop trying to seduce me.
 
Or not."

CHARACTER BACKGROUND:
Constantijin is a billionaire (kind of a dead giveaway) and is also known as Netherlands' No. 1 playboy. He comprises 1/3 of the Pussketeers, and because he's good looking and rich he doesn't believe in love and relationships. Fine, so maybe a trauma from his childhood -- and well into his adult life -- also added to his cynicism. 

 
Yanna on the other hand is cheerful, optimistic, and a hopeless romantic. She believes that if a man truly wants a woman, he should court her. She's an "otaku", a term used for people obsessed with Japanese manga (comic book) and anime. This is one of the reasons why she got accepted for a position in Kastein Inc. 
 
Drake, also known as Mr. Fix-It is introduced (to me at least) in this book. He's an ex-sniper hired by Yanna's mother to be an incognito bodyguard for said protagonist. Unfortunately for him, he developed a bit of real feelings for our beaut. He has a dark past, and he will have a book of his own according to Ms. Tee. 
 
There are other characters of course, but you'd have to read the book to know them. I can't do all the work here people! 
 
TO LOVE:
I loved how marvelous it was. Kidding! (not about the marvelous part) For Filipinos who have read or will be reading this book, you would sort of have a clue already that the author is Filipino. There were a few times in the book when it had me thinking, "Is the author Pinoy?" I can't really put my finger on it, but regardless, I liked it. 
 
Like any other books by Marian Tee, the male protagonist, in this case Constantijin, couldn't get enough of his counterpart. He's so crazy for her, driven by his need for her (sexual need, of course [eye roll]), that he ends up "attacking" her at the most inopportune time! Though to be honest, I think I wouldn't mind being on the receiving end of said attack *wink*.
And the thing I love most about Marian's books is its so intense that it will mess up your emotions. It's the kind of book that you can't read in public unless you want people to think you've lost your mind. In this book, my tear ducts were still controllable. But on the second and third -- I just lost it. 
 
TO BLEH: 
It ended with a cliffhanger that made me want to hang myself ON a cliff. I know it's really not a bad thing, since leaving your readers at the edge of their seats usually means that you're doing well as a writer. But still! I didn't have to suffer that long since I downloaded the complete set, but I feel sorry for others who didn't *insert melancholic music here*.
 
I guess one thing that I wasn't big on is the fact that it was a bit short. And most part of this book was him getting her alone and doing something naughty, then she'll say "no" again after she "had fun". I guess I was expecting a bit more from this book. And I get that this is sort of an office romance, but I think for 90% of the book, they really were in the office. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there weren't scenes on the street, in a coffee shop, a restaurant. The only break from the office they had was when they went to Las Vegas. Like I said though, correct me if I made a mistake, because I finished reading this quite some time ago so I may be getting some information wrong (wow! way to inspire confidence).

SUMMARY: 
OKAY, so this book is stamped "TO-READ". If you're not familiar with Marian's books yet, you can start with this, like I did. Or you can start with the tamer ones. But I think you'll find that the Pussketeers are much more fun to follow.
 
I hope you guys found this review interesting at the least. We have 29 more days to go, and I am thrilled to review more of Marian's books. Stay tuned for Part 2 titled "Courted".

 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.