Where She Went by Gayle Forman


NOTE: There will be spoilers in this review, so if you haven't read this book and book 1 (If I Stay) yet, then I might ruin it for you if you read this. 

I read this book immediately after I finished If I Stay because I just thought it might be better than the first one. You'll know my verdict in a bit.

Title: Where She Went (If I Stay #2)
Author: Gayle Forman
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fiction, Drama
 
SYNOPSIS:
It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
 
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.
 
REVIEW:
Like what's stated in the synopsis, this book is stated from Adam's point-of-view, three years later. But in true If I Stay fashion, it's full of flashbacks. Not wanting to lie, let me say that I am not a fan of books that is 50% flashbacks. But it could just be me. 

This book is much less sad than the first one. The story now focuses on love, or in this case love lost, and hopes of finding closure and finally moving on with your life. I think a lot of people can relate in this aspect, especially those who've had bad break-ups. Like what would happen if you get the chance to see them again? Would you talk to them? Would you hangout? or would you ignore each other?
 
TO LOVE:
For some weird reason, I liked that Adam is in a relationship with someone else. Why? Because Mia left him, and him finding someone else to somehow fill the emptiness that he's feeling is actually quite realistic. He wasn't pretending to be a saint after the big blow to the ego (and heart) that he got from Mia. He really did try to move on, because seriously, that sh** hurt, especially after everything they've been through. 
 
I also found it quite interesting how they took the chance and enjoyed each others company, even for just one night. But of course if they didn't then there wouldn't be a story. Duh. Oh, and it's really nice how they've both achieved their dreams.
 
TO BLEH:
Mia blames Adam for why she's not with her family. I was like, "He said one word! You chose to listen. Then you blame him?!" And there's a certain moment when they were in a boat (I'm not actually sure if boat is the right term) that just made things weird for me. I'm not gonna go into the details, but I think the story suddenly changed to paranormal. 

I was also left asking "is that it?" 

SUMMARY:
I don't know. but this series of books was pretty much a miss for me. I don't hate them, I just feel like it wasn't for me. I still love the fact that Chloe Moretz played Mia though. I love her. I REALLY LOVE HER. 

But for this book, I would have to give it a "TO PASS UP...FOR NOW" stamp. Mainly because I find it weird that I'd recommend that you read this but not the first book.

So that is that. Please do share your thoughts. 

 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.